Update.....Another possible starter thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update.....Another possible starter thread

So i didn't want to high someone else's thread so i'm starting this one. I just replaced my battery since it was going bad and would not hold a charge. couple of years ago i replaced the stator and rectifier along with a new Ricks hot shot Starter and upgraded cables. my bike seemed to always be a little hard to start especially on cold mornings. However its becoming more so lately, which i thought could be in part due to the battery. i went out this morning and it would not start. it cranks and cranks but it seems very labored while doing it and it just wouldn't fire up. of course i drained the battery trying so its on the charger and i drove to work on a beautiful sunny day. So i guess my questions are,

1. Anyone have experience with the Ricks Hot Shot Starter?

2. What other things could i need to look at that would make it hard to start?

Granted i have not yet taken the starter off to open it to look at it since it happen this morning and im at work. I replaced the starter originally cause i figured id do it while i was doing the stator and rectifier and the upgraded cables. i still have the original starter that i thought i might throw back on to see if tit makes a difference. Also it seems when i do start it i have to twist the throttle a couple of times even with using the enricher.

Update.......So after some crappy weather we finally get a nice day to ride.....go out in the morning to ride to work....motor cranks over but the starter seems sluggish and almost not wanting to engage.....drove to work pissed. Got home tonight grabbed my original starter and swapped out the Ricks hot shot starter with it. Hooked it up pulled the enricher cable turned the key hit the button and it starts on the first crank......it has never done that with the other starter.....I’m thinking I wasted good money on buying the Ricks starter thinking it would be an upgrade.

Anyone else have issues with the Ricks starter?

I’m having similar issues on my bike. I’m actually going to test the resistance across the starter solenoid because I read that over time they can get bad. I’m not sure if that is true so I’m going to test.

Another possible issue could be a bad voltage regulator?

Comment

In what climate do you live? If not a hot area, 10-40 oil will help starts.

Comment

• Ahodge75
        Ahodge75 commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah Oregon Coast so not really a hot zone

• Ahodge75
        Ahodge75 commented
        Editing a comment
        To be honest I’m not sure what oil is in it. I had a Yamaha shop do the oil change on it and I can’t seem to find the paperwork....although is due for an oil change I’ve actually never done it on the bike but I assume it’s not difficult. I’ll use a 10-40 this time and see if it helps

While you have the original starter, I would pull it apart and check it out. Clean the armature and check the brushes before you try it out.
      Check battery volts, 12.7 v., then check the voltage when cranking it over, voltage shouldn't be lower than 10 1/2 volts, otherwise the battery doesn't have the amperage. Once engine is running for a couple of minutes, voltage should be 13.2 to 14.8 volts. If not, it's a bad regulator or generator (alternator).

Comment

• Ahodge75
        Ahodge75 commented
        Editing a comment
        Battery volts good and while running it’s a little over 14 volts. I will look at the original starter next and see how it looks

Originally posted by Ahodge75 View Post
      To be honest I’m not sure what oil is in it. I had a Yamaha shop do the oil change on it and I can’t seem to find the paperwork....although is due for an oil change I’ve actually never done it on the bike but I assume it’s not difficult. I’ll use a 10-40 this time and see if it helps
      Amsoil or Mobil 1 synthetic 10-40 motorcycle oil is best due to higher zinc level. Oil changes are easy and can be done on kickstand. No jack needed. One plug for engine and one for oil tank. Drain both then remove oil filter. Put new filter on and both plugs back in. Add two quarts to oil tank, replace cap, run engine for 20 seconds and add two more quarts. It’s that simple.

Comment

• D-Fresh
        D-Fresh commented
        Editing a comment
        Shores,

What type of wrench do you use on the crankcase drain plug? I think the designers screwed the pooch on this one! I can't get a socket or box wrench on it so i have to use an open end wrench and that is at a not very user friendly angle and tends to slip off the bolt easily. It's obvious the previous changes already started to round off the hex and that makes it that much more difficult (probably should get a new drain plug). I end up raising the bike to get a better angle at it. If anyone has a better way to remove that drain plug than an open end wrench I'm all ears.

• Duke
        Duke commented
        Editing a comment
        D-Fresh, you should be able to use a box end wrench on that plug. I know that's what I use.

• Father Pobasturd
        Father Pobasturd commented
        Editing a comment
        I have read on here several times that a Snap-On socket will clear the front oil drain plug, due to it's inherently thin design. I hope this is true 'cause I bought one and am going to do my oil change soon.

I’m going to try the 10-40 oil also. But after swapping the starter out it starts like it should.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

• davej
        davej commented
        Editing a comment
        You shouldn't need to in the hot summer weather. You should only need to use 10/40 if you ride in cold weather early spring/fall or winter.

Decompression solenoid may be a little off... I just bent my spoon bac in a tad and cleaned starter now it fires up beautifully
      LET'S RIDE

Comment

A lot of the bikes are getting pretty old now and starter maint has been revealing issues with Brushes and brush plates cracked or broken. Also battery cables with high resistance will help destroy relays and starter internal parts. The higher resistance in the combined parts of the starting system the more amps it will draw from the battery. The higher amps will help in the burning out of brushes and starter relays. just something to consider when dealing with starting issues on any older vehicle including the R*.

Comment

Yeah most of the say to use the OEM starter pay particular attention to the brass brush holder. They tend to fall apart in your hands upon removal

Comment

I went out this morning running a little late for work. Normally it is a fight to get it to start in the mornings always cranking and cranking, BUT this morning turned the key pulled the enricher out hit the button fired on the 1st crank. amazing how the simplest thing can just start your day off happily. The ride to work seemed sooo much more pleasant than all the others.

Comment

You can grind a box wrench down to fit easier, change the bolt to a 14mm Dorman plug from Autozone, run the bike up on 2x4s to get more room, get a new 17mm plug, etc.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Shores, 4 days ago
              8 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Shores
              by Shores

Started by Neverdone, 21 hours ago
              6 responses
              0 likes